My first foray into home casting was an effort to save money on scenery. With a Big Cap Battle due in May, I decided to create my own wall section to replicate and then expand from there.
Here’s the initial wall section, with one of my Iron Hands marines and a GW building for scale.
The model is just layers of plasticard and some metal ball bearings. I designed a floor jigsaw that would pair up with the opposite part to slide together. Here’s the original next to a cast piece.
I was pretty chuffed it slid together well. I intentionally left cut outs on the ends so that they slide neatly up against the steps on various buildings. Then it just needs a walkway slice placed on top. I intend to design a couple of texture for these, but any old plasticard or debris will also suffice.
However. the under layer may cause some issues with my limited casting equipment. So, I’ve decided to remove it for some of the pieces. The advantage here is fairly obvious. You can use it as a wall, rather than a pair of parallel walls. It offers more options.
More importantly, it doesn’t really impede the original intention, with walkways still fitting snugly on the two sections.
The occasional miscast piece is great for creating alternative walls… damaged in this case:
The walls have come out nicely and I am working on all sorts of alternatives. I’ve made a section with firing slots and am working on corners as next priority. From there I hope to add upper wall sections that will sit on top and allow a roofto be added.
These will be for sale! Send me your ideas and show me your interest. It’ll make me get them in the store faster.